Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A few more thoughts... (2 continued)

It seems like I could go on and on and on about how powerful our thoughts are!  I just have to share a few more things that I have learned that have really made an impact on me...


1.  THOUGHTS DIRECTLY EFFECT OUR MOOD

Whenever we are experiencing a mood, there is a certain thought connected to it which helps define the mood.  For example, suppose you are at a party and you have been introduced to Alex.  As you talk, Alex never looks at you; in fact, throughout your brief conversation he looks over your shoulder across the room.  Following are three different thoughts you might have in this situation which tie to different moods:

Thought: Alex is rude.  He is insulting me be ignoring me.
Possible mood:  Irritated

Thought: Alex doesn't find me interesting.  I bore everybody.
Possible mood: Sad

Thought: Alex seems shy.  He's probably too uncomfortable to look at me.
Possible mood: Caring, Nervous

Isn't that amazing!?  Alex hasn't changed at all in the course of the conversation... and yet, according to which thought I choose, my mood can be drastically different!

It is so important to identify what you are thinking and to check out the ACCURACY of your thoughts BEFORE acting.  For instance, if Alex was shy, it would be inaccurate to think of him as rude and inappropriate to respond with anger or irritation.

(This information is taken from a book called, "Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think" by Dennis Greenberger & Christine A. Padesky.  It is an incredible workbook to help one overcome ones automatic thoughts and control those thoughts to bring about the best behaviors and emotions.  I have this book and HIGHLY recommend it to all.)


2.  WE MIGHT AS WELL THINK POSITIVELY

This has been a problem of mine... I tend to think "realistically" or "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst" thinking, which usually falls in the critical, negative realm of thought.


It is scary for me to think postively... I feel like it is not wise and that I am being vulnerable.  It's crazy.
I am now beginning to understand how hurtful those false beliefs have been to me! 

There is a law of opposition in ALL things.  This is the same with our thoughts.  WE choose to either think positively or negatively.  And just as easily as we choose one way, we can choose to think the opposite way.  It truly does NO harm to BELIEVE.  If I find out that I am wrong, I can cross that bridge when I come to it.  But in the meantime, I have nothing to lose by believing and thinking positively.  I am putting myself in the higher frequency levels!

I read a story that really helped this hit home to me.  To briefly summarize:  A married couple had an argument about finances and the husband left the house without a word.  The wife immediately had a million thoughts go through her mind and she stopped at the thought, "Is he going to go commit suicide!?!?"  She honed in on this thought and couldn't stop thinking about it.  She became an EMOTIONAL WRECK.  She was crying, calling the police, going hysterical, the house was effected as well, knocking over a chair, etc.  all because of this thought she was feeding.  After a couple hours, she was exhausetd and chose to compose herself.  She changed her thought to, "He is ok and just went out for a breather."  When she started feeding this thought, she calmed down, felt optimistic, grateful and was able to handle her young child positively.  The two of them went out to look for Dad and indeed found him, taking a nap outside.

This story helped me see how much energy and emotion she wasted and horribly experienced on "the worst case scenario" that could have been COMPLETELY avoided.  Which also leads to the last topic...


3.  LIKES ATTRACT LIKES

Our thoughts obey the law of attraction.  When we have a thought, it wants to find more envidence that verifies its legitimacy.  If you have the thought/belief "I'm not good enough", your mind is going to go full speed searching for everything it can to solidify this claim, whether it is true or not.

Our thoughts have ENERGY.  At the most basic level of who we are, all our parts are tiny minute vibrating strings of energy.  This energy and vibration is constantly being radiated from us like a signal from a cell phone.  We each can feel others vibrations... just like when there is an argument going on, you can feel the tension in the room.  It's a real thing.

The signals we are sending out returns to us.  We are like a magnet and attract to us the things that we are thinking and feeling and putting our energy in to!  I knew a guy that wasn't very cute due to really bad acne, but he thought he was cute and had the confidence to ask girls out.  And he was never without a date.  People felt his confidence he had about himself and they responded to it likewise.  The same goes the opposite way.  If one feels inadequate or has low self-esteem, others can sense this and treat them similarly to that persons beliefs.

If we want good things in our life, we have to think thoughts that are in harmony to it!  They will come because Likes Attract Likes.


Have you ever said or heard someone say,
"What were you THINKING!?"
after they did something really stupid?

It's because it is true...
what we DO is directly connected to first our THOUGHTS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment