Monday, April 18, 2011

Peeling an Onion (4)

Another layer of our engine that drives us and creates our world, is our Beliefs.

A belief is a certain paradigm through which we see the world.  We co-create our life according to the beliefs we have.

Our beliefs come from our environment and experiences we have had in our life.

The problem is... in our life's garden, we may have plants and weeds we don't want due to these deep down core beliefs we have that we may not even know about.  We have learned and accepted these beliefs, mostly in childhood when our mind was like a sponge and absorbed everything.  We didn't have a filter in our mind at a young age and so our mind took everything as truths and started to live them out without question of if they were really true or false.

Now we have to go back through our garden and find those things in our life that aren't in harmony with what we REALLY want.  What are the false beliefs we are cultivating in our life?  What we believe in our deepest core beliefs that have strong emotion attached to them is what has come to fruition in our life.

One of my false beliefs I didn't realize I had, was "Marriage is hard."  I would notice all the marriages around me and would see a lot of disagreements, long suffering, heartache, etc.  So I expected this in my marriage (as I tend to hope for the best but plan for the worst) and it felt normal, even though I did want to have a better marriage.


It greatly bothered my husband that I was this way.  He didn't have this belief as I did.  He believes that marriage is wonderful and can be the greatest, happiest, relationship we experience in this life.  He has put so much effort in to our marriage.  I am realizing how much my false belief on marriage truly effected my actions and my marriage to become exactly what I believed... even though I didn't WANT to have a difficult marriage and my husband didn't want it either.

There are a countless false beliefs we can/are living, just like the one I mentioned.  Now is the time to search our life's garden and find these areas of our life that aren't up to par to where we really want them to be.  We need to dig deep and find what false beliefs we have that are creating the outcome we are experiencing in our life right now.... like peeling an onion.  What is at the very root?



*************Activity***************

How to root out the unwanted things in our garden:

1.  Name the experience.  In as few words as possible, state only the facts and name the experience you are having that you want to change.

ie:  I am lonely and feel rejected by others.  (totally hypothetical)


2.  Accountability.  You are a powerful creator and are co-creating all of your experiences and/or your relationship to those experiences.  It is critical that we take accountability and acknowledge that on some level I have been a part of what has taken place and be willing to investigate how.

Q:  These are the ways that I am able to see right now that I have accountability in what I have experienced... and am willing to see more ways.

A:  ie:  I always focus on the times that people don't talk to me and take it to heart while I easily discount the positive times I have with people.  I don't reach out to others because I don't want to "bother" them and waste their time.  It's easier to just sit alone then try to start a conversation with someone I don't know.


3.  Identify the False Beliefs.  At the root of every experience, is a belief.  In every painful experience is rooted a false belief.  Take a few breaths, clear your mind and write whatever comes to you without judging or stopping content. 

Q:  These are the False Beliefs that are at the roof of my experience.

A:  ie:  I am not good enough.  I am a bother and nuisance to others.


4.  Live New Truths.  For every lie that creates pain or suffering or unhappiness, there is an equal truth that creates joy and peace.  Look at the false beliefs you have and write out the opposites in positive statements.  Write out as many truths that come to mind.

This is the real truth about  ( your false belief )   ...

ie:  I am a beloved daughter of Heavenly Father.  He has given me divine gifts and they are special and can greatly bless the lives of others if I will use them.  I am happy and nice and people enjoy being around people like me.  I am irreplaceable. I make a difference in the world.

Repeat these truths over and over to yourself and add EMOTION to it. 
You MUST bring to life the feelings of already living and experiencing the things that you want.

*******************end of activity********************
but this part is the most important...



THINKING is when we create a new idea.

When we choose to take action on a new idea, we WILL face a barrier.
1.  Recognize it  2.  Understand it  3.  Know what to do about it  4.  Gain awareness which gives us confidence to get through it.

Anxiety, Fear, dis-ease comes when we have a new idea fighting with an old idea = barrier.  So we falsely interpret this as a sign that it must be bad.  We then go back to the old, familiar idea, our comfort zone.  *Recognize this barrier for what it is.  If you take action to break through the barrier you will gain new freedom!  But it has to feel right in your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment